Scene 2

Our 2008 China Eclipse Trip - Page 2

Forbidden City

Qianginggong (Palace of Heavenly Purity), was built in 1420 (18th year of Ming Emperor Yung Lo's reign). It was destroyed and rebuilt several times. The last time it was rebuilt was in 1798 (3rd year of Ching Emperor Chia Ching's reign). During the Ming Dynasty and in the early Ching period, the Emperor lived and handled state affairs here. Ching Emperor Yung Cheng moved to Yang Hsin Tien (Hall of Mental Cultivation), but still gave audience to officials here. In the late Ching period, it was also here that the Emperor received foreign envoys. This once contained the emperor's bedroom.

Hi Res Pic (151K)

⇦ Back to Page 1    Return to Trip Scenes Page 1    On to Page 3 ⇨
Palace of Heavenly Purity